Causes & Symptoms
What causes heartburn during pregnancy? Well, there are usually two main reasons you’re suffering:
- Hormones released in pregnancy relax the muscles that guard the opening of the stomach keep acid down.
- As your bump grows, it puts increasing pressure on your esophagus, making it more likely for heartburn to occur.
What are the symptoms of heartburn during pregnancy?
- A bloated feeling
- Burning/pain in the chest area
- Bringing up food
- Feeling sick, or vomiting
Heartburn during pregnancy is common, and the good news is that there are safe and effective treatments for it.
Gaviscon Original is non-systemic, thus, designed to act locally in the stomach. It is clinically proven to be suitabe for pregnant women.
You can also look to make lifestyle changes. Consider:
- Eating small meals rather than three big portions a day
- Watching your posture (a straight, upright back is good, especially when eating)