Author: Thaddeus M. Averilla, MD
- Refrain from eating within three to four hours before going to sleep.
- Elevation of the head of the bed.
- Cessation of smoking.
- Avoidance of particular foods and/or alcoholic drinks which provoke GERD symptoms
- Maintain ideal body weight.
 DeVault, KR, Castell, DO. Updated guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease. The Practice Parameters Committee of the American College of Gastroenterology. Am J Gastroenterol 1999;94: 1434–1442.
 Fujiwara et al, Association Between Dinner-to-Bed Time and Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease, The American Journal of Gastroenterology (2005) 100, 2633–2636
 An evidence-based appraisal of reflux disease management. The Genval Workshop Report. Gut 1999;44 (Suppl 2):S1–S16.
Did you know?
- 73% of people will suffer from both heartburn and indigestion. interchangeably
- 1 in 5 people suffering from heartburn may experience symptoms every week.